I know what your saying "Crap not another top 10 guitarist list" and I get it. There are pretty much meaningless as they are all a matter of personal opinion. Mine is no different. Over the next few days/weeks/months/years I will post my top 10 in several categories and my overall favorite top 10. I do want to be clear, this list is my list of FAVORITES which may differ from who I think are the best guitarists. Who am I to say who is actually better than the next guy. Then again who CAN really say if Jimi Hendrix was actually a better guitarist than Eddie Van Halen or Eric Clapton? There are very few if any that can. These lists are always more opinion than fact. Having said that I welcome your comments/praise/criticism/suggestions for my list, but, remember these are based on MY opinion and therefore cannot be wrong. I may forget someone off a list and if so I will be more than willing to adjust it.
I plan on listing top 10 in the following categories (in no particular order): Classic Rock (1970's and earlier), Rock, "Hair" Metal, Heavy Metal, Shred, Blues, Flamenco, Jazz, Classical, & Overall.
* I reserve the right to add additional categories at a later time.
The first entry is for my top 10 favorite Classic Rock guitarists (read more)
My Top Ten Favorite Classic Rock Guitarists:
In order to qualify tho candidates must have recorded and had success in the 70's or before. They may have also gone on to equal or greater success after the 70's and that may be a contributing factor in their placement, but the primary factor was the amount of quality material released prior to 1980. I created this category so I wouldn't leave any of these guys out when making future lists and including people like Eddie Van Halen, Gary Moore, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and so on. They deserve their due also. Enjoy!
Their primary band and essential albums are listed next to each.
10. Keith Richards (The Rolling Stones) - Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main St, & Hot Rocks
9. Rory Gallagher (Taste, Solo) - Irish Tour '74, Top Priority, Live In Europe
8. Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple, Rainbow) - Machine Head, Rising, Long Live Rock And Roll
7. Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath) - Black Sabbath, Paranoid, The Mob Rules
6. Angus Young (AC/DC) - Let There Be Rock, Highway To Hell, Back In Black
5. Jeff Beck (Solo) - Truth, Blow By Blow, Wired
4. Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin) - Houses Of The Holy, Physical Graffiti, Led Zeppelin IV (ZOSO)
3. David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) - Meddle, Dark Side OF The Moon, The Wall
2. Eric Clapton (Cream, Solo) - The Cream Of Clapton, Complete Clapton, Me & Mr Johnson
1. Jimmy Hendrix (Solo) - Are You Experienced, Band Of Gypsies, Electric Ladyland,